Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A few notes on Teaching Dallas

Glancing through Teaching Dallas today, I noticed a few things worthy of comment:

-There's no such college as Chesapeake State University. In Dominance, I had Gabriel attend a real Norfolk school, Old Dominion University, but since Teaching Dallas revolves around a professor dating a student, I felt it preferable from a legal point of view to use a made-up school name.

-Dallas lives in Whaleyville, Virginia. When most of Suffolk was Nansemond County, Whaleyville was a very small incorporated town. Now it's actually part of Suffolk, and is located in the southern part of the city, near the North Carolina border and close to the Dismal Swamp. It's still mostly farms and trees. There are a lot of great old farmhouses still standing throughout Suffolk, which were the inspiration for the Palmer farmhouse.

-So far no one seems to have noticed my tiny little Doctor Who reference. Adrian wears bow ties and tweed jackets to work, and early in the story I establish that it's because he thinks bow ties are cool.

-I'm planning a sequel called Teaching Adrian. It's a very rough idea in my head right now, but I'm thinking it'll be about Adrian's dismay when he has to teach a literature class on gay erotica, which he (with his highly focused interest in Shakespeare) has very little knowledge of. But Dallas will help him learn all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment