Monday, March 11, 2013

I actually agree with this review

Angelic was reviewed here by a blogger, who gave it two, uh, doohickeys. (I think they're spades.) Two stars, anyway. She liked my writing style, but added, "Gabriel was so beautiful, so pure, so perfect... that I expected some sort of a twist, that he had been sent to Dom's company to ferret out his secrets, anything to shatter his breathtaking flawlessness. But that didn't happen, and so the story just felt too... purple." 

This in a nutshell has been my problem with writing the Innocence series. I wrote it basically for people who'd already read Dominance. People, in other words, who already liked the characters and wanted to know how they got to this point. I also wrote it for myself, to get to the bottom of Dom's psyche, which I really needed to do before I could complete Shattered. Angelic is more of a character study of Dom and his perceptions of Gabriel (and those perceptions are not necessarily accurate) than it is a fully realized story. Gabriel's flawlessness is "shattered" (as the blogger so perceptively puts it!) in Shattered, but Angelic is merely setup for that eventual fall, as is the rest of Innocence.

So these are not really standalone books, but rather "bonus stories," and yes, by itself Angelic is not really much of a story-- the point in it was to show that Gabriel really was pure and innocent when he first met Dom, and the overarching point of Innocence is to show Gabriel's slow evolution into the man we meet in Dominance. The point is also to show us Dom's perceptions of Gabriel, which as I said above may be somewhat on the idealized side. But Innocence is not a very good standalone, which is one reason the installments are all free.

Unfortunately, by putting it up on various sites as a freebie, rather than just putting it up on my website as I originally intended, it's naturally the first book a lot of readers come across. I actually don't know if I'm helping myself or hurting myself by putting the Innocence books up as freebies on various sites, but having started, I guess I'll continue. I'll be working on formatting Innocent today and getting it up on ARe and Smashwords.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm usually a "lurker", however, felt that I needed to say something...loved the story -- felt that by giving Dom and Gabriel a background, the reader was better able to relate to the Dominance series. In addition, introducing Gabriel's girlfriend the way you did, and how she relates to Dom it kind of gives you an insight into her thoughts (didn't like them!. You were able to pick up on them in the Dominance series, but they were subtly written. It also explains why Dom does the things he does. That being said....the next Dominance book???? :) Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I'm happy to know I *have* a lurker! Yes, the idea of writing in some background for DOMINANCE is why I wrote INNOCENCE (and I'm glad you liked it; that's nice to hear!). But I can also see why someone who picks up one of these books first is going to think, "Huh, that's not much of a story." Because really they're more character pieces, or vignettes, than complete stories.

    Now that INNOCENT is up (and my lovely formatter/daughter is putting it up on Smash and ARe at this very moment), I'm going to get right back to finishing ILLUMINATION. I'll try to put up excerpts as I go. Thank you for your patience!

    ReplyDelete